Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Update on pup synthetic grass

I thought I would give you the first update on the puppy grass system.

I have been using the synthetic grass (PetZoom Pet Park Dog Potty Mat)now for about 10 days. My pups are now 4 weeks, 5 days old.

They are using the "sod box" 95% of the time for poop. The other 5% they are "in the area" of the sod box. They have had NO accidents in the lower box where they play, eat and sleep. They use it about 75% of the time for urine, with almost all of that in the sod box itself.

It is funny to watch them eat, stop eating, run up to the sod box, poop, and go back to eating.

It is much easier to clean the synthetic grass than it was to clean the sod. Even when the poop is soft, it wipes right off the blades of the "grass" There has been no chewing of the grass mat, as opposed to previous litters chewing the grass or digging in it and scattering some bits of dirt.

There is no smell whatsoever. We are alternating boxes (I bought 2 full systems, $27 dollars each from Amazon) every 2-3 days, we rinse the box and mat off outside and let it dry in the sun. Takes a few hours and it would be ready to go again if I didn't have the other box.

As before, I have not had to wash any puppy except after they eat and walk in their food (they are just 4 weeks old after all)

We tried the box in various positions and they seem to prefer it in the corner of the upper box so it is surrounded on two sides by the walls of the whelping box.

If I had 10 pups I would have two boxes in the upper box at all times and I think it would work just as well. Then I would need 3 boxes so one is always being cleaned.

I heartily recommend this system, I am a big fan in case you haven't noticed!!

Bonnie

Re: Update on pup synthetic grass

This sounds like a good training method -- but I'm a little confused: is the sod box the same as your reference to synthetic grass? Because you wrote: "It is much easier to clean the synthetic grass than it was to clean the sod." Also, what do you mean by the "upper box" and the "lower box?" I can't picture this.

"This sounds like a good training method -- but I'm a little confused: is the sod box the same as your reference to synthetic grass? Because you wrote: "It is much easier to clean the synthetic grass than it was to clean the sod." Also, what do you mean by the "upper box" and the "lower box?" I can't picture this."

My setup is a Jonart whelping box with an attached Jonart whelping pen, pullman style attached, so I am calling the whelping box (4x4)the upper box and the whelping pen (4x5)the lower box. Once the pups can go between the two boxes, they have to navigate a lip, they always prefer the bigger and more open whelping pen and that is where all the toys are etc.

I am using sod box as a general term, before this I used actual sod, even for my Christmas litter. This litter I am trying the synthetic grass for the sod box. My old sod box was made of a Christmas tree stand (probably 3x3 and very shallow) and a piece of sod, this system comes with a pan which is probably a little bit smaller and a piece of artificial grass.

They will still sometimes sleep in the whelping box area or play in it, but they tend to spend their time in the whelping pen away from the "grass"

Does that help?

Bonnie

Where did you get the system?

I just googled this system and it looks like it is the clear deal. My husband and I made a litter box that is 4' x 4' x 6" and I have used wood pellets, wood shavings and with my last litter I used newspaper. I am wondering if I could not just line the bottom of this litter box with newspaper and purchase some of the synthetic grass indoor/outdoor carpeting and lay on top of the newspaper, having two pieces so I could wash one and use the other. I may have to give that a try.

Here is a link to the synthetic grass system (at least where I bought it)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZHRTAK/ref=oss_product

I had previously searched for astro-turf or any kind of synthetic grass and I have to say the mat that comes with the system is far superior to anything I could have purchased separately and cut myself. but maybe I didn't look in the right places, that is of course possible.

The box has to be shallow enough that little pups who have just gotten their sea legs can get in and out of. I think a 6" lip is too deep for them to navigate when they are just 3 /12-4 1/2 weeks old, so I believe the box has to be shallow, like maybe no more than 2" tall.

I think if there is a pile of newspaper under the mat it defeats some of the purpose of the box, you have to handle and change wet, stinkie paper. I just drain the box part into the potty, flush and wash clean (don't even need to dry it except for the bottom.) Hose the grass and put it out to dry. End of clean up for the box.

I put the box in with the first meal, and as soon as they are done eating I put them on the grass. Any time I see them waking up, I put them on the grass. I always leave the first poop there to attract them and I put a puppy pee pad on the very bottom initially to have an attractive smell to them as well. After a day or two, they begin using the grass themselves and I let them do it themselves.

I am always amused to watch a little toddling puppy running to the box to pee!

The best three things about a sod box, whether real or synthetic, is there is NO smell, NO mess and easy cleaning even overnight.

Bonnie

Oh, I guess it does sound like a huge lip when I said 6 inches. There is an opening cut so the entrance area is 2". I have not started looking for synthetic grass to do this yet but do think I may try it. I dont imagine the synthetic turf is real expensive. Thanks for the information. I do not have a litter planned until this fall so I may be lucky enough to find some turf on sale.

I just a few days ago ordered two systems online from ToysR Us. The price was similar to what Bonnie quoted, and they even have free delivery. My pups are not quite 2 weeks old, so the systems should be here by the time we need them. With my litter of 10, maybe I should have gotten three!

It's so great to get feedback on new things like this - TKS!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this Bonnie. I just ordered 2, and I can't wait to have a wood shavings free litter!

This sounds like a wonderful idea but I read a bunch of reviews of this product and there are some problems that may be relevant to Labradors. Many dogs start picking up and dragging the synthetic grass or start eating it.

So please keep us informed about the success (or not) of using this as your puppies get older.
Will you be eliminating the system at some point before the puppies go home?

Thanks.

I just bought the Pupgrass ( supposedly the original) indoor potty system.. I bought the largest size and my pups are 4 weeks old.. They do like to chew on the corners of the synthetic grass, so I am only using it when I can watch them right now.. They all did go to it immediately and use it which was great. The rep said to duck tape the corners and that usually solves the problem of chewing. I did prefer the 6 inch lip styles because the grass is recessed and not accessible to the pups, but that is quite high for young pups so I opted for this brand.. They also state their product is tested, non toxic adn lead free which was a selling feature for me, even though it was more expensive.

So far the pups have "nozzled" the edges but haven't actually touched it - it is sort of seated in there so they would have to dig in a bit to be able to grab it.

When I used the real grass I kept it in there until the day the pups went home and my understanding is it was very easy to house break them. I am not sure it is all due to the sod box as I crate train the pups and have them sleeping alone in crates and going outside after eating etc all before they go home as well.

So far the synthetic grass has been as good as regular grass. I think if they began to eat it or try to drag it around I might just plunk in real grass for them which I can get 12 months a year in Maryland (if you know the right people!)

As far as toxicity goes, I did speak with a company rep who assured me of its non-toxic nature so I feel comfortable with that as well.

Bonnie

Plastic is plastic, it has to be broken down by the liver. Non-toxic does not change that fact. I do not
want my young pups eating plastic green grass or plastic toys. Everyone should use what works for them,
I would just watch the chewing. Don't use duck tape!
If they get that in their bellies you will really have a problem.